Documentalist Assistant (Media Rights)
Free Media Movement (FMM) is establishing a Documentation Desk to monitor media rights violations in Sri Lanka. This Desk is part of the 2021 Action Plan of FMM, and it comes under the ‘Safety of Journalist’ component of the 2021 Action Plan. The overall objective of the Safety of Journalist component is to enhance the protection of journalists and create an environment for them to perform their profession without any constraints.
Scope of Work
The objective of this assignment is to undertake documentation and compiling reports of case by case of incidents related to the safety of journalists. FMM is seeking to document; the Incidents; follow-up with the victimized journalist for urgent safety need assessments; Legal procedures; responses from national and international media organizations and the media community including FMM.
The primary responsibility of the documentalist is to maintain the Documentation Desk based on the FMM Vision and Mission, approach, objectives and processes. Moreover, the assignment includes compiling a monthly incident report for the FMM based on the documented material.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Collect, record, compile, organize, filing (soft), preserves, archives and retrieves data and information of incidents related to the safety of journalists.
- Review essential primary and secondary sources such as printed and online news media, social media sites, Police and court proceedings, media freedom and human rights reports.
- Conduct meetings/interviews with victimized journalists and other stakeholders related to the incident.
- Producing a case by case report and a monthly report with the guidance of the ‘Safety of Journalist’ subcommittee at the FMM.
Contract starting date: From 2021 Jan to initially for three months (2021 Jan -2021 March) and the possibility of renewing the contract for an extended period.
- List of reference sources.
- Case by case incident report.
- Monthly Report including sources.
- An undergraduate /graduate / post graduate/ student of legal studies / Social Science
- Applicant must have written and oral communication skills in Sinhalese / Tamil language with a working knowledge of English.
- Having a journalist experience is an add advantage.
- The applicant must demonstrate knowledge and understanding of civil society activities in Sri Lanka.
The selected candidate will receive reasonable monthly remuneration.
Please send your CV with the name and address of two non-related referees to firstname.lastname@example.org with the post applied marked clearly in the subject line to reach us before 24th December 12 pm.
For more information on FMM visit: www.fmmsrilanka.lk / FMM Office (Mon-Fri 10.00 am to 4.00 PM Except public holidays. ) 011236 8895